Skip to main content

Unapologetic Jubilation #OBL

America_rejoices

 

I have been thinking a lot about the scenes of my fellow Americans celebrating. I didn't like reading tweets from people complaining about Americans celebrating the news of Bin Ladin's death. I just didn't understand at first. To me those celebrations were a beautiful spontaneous outpouring of emotions. It was a way of saying, we remember. We care. We're grateful for brave soldiers keeping us safe. To me (and I'm guessing many other Americans), Bin Ladin became a symbol of dark times for our country. His actions lead to hurt, loss and for us to move away from our good fashioned American values that are set out in our Constitution. Torture, Guantanamo Bay, the Patriot Act cutting into American's civil liberties, Iraq war starting for questionable reasons, all that jazz just ain't American. 

When I see those signs of celebration, I see jubilation because it's an end to those dark times. It's not just the death of a man, it's a death of a very frightening and sad time for many Americans. I think his death will especially bring peace to the soldiers who were injured and the families who lost soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. That is worth celebrating. To me the images of those celebrations don't feel hateful. I'm sure there are some people who are still filled with anger and hatred and were celebrating from an ugly place. But I think most of us celebrated as an expression of the care and love we have for our fellow Americans.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr

 

When I look at the faces in that photo, I see joy, not hate. I have read comments from some British people jumping to criticise (or should I be true to myself and and write criticize) my people for an outpouring of emotions. I ask those who judged to remember how you felt when you saw the images of the 7/7 bomber caught on that balcony. This is our balcony. This is our chance to breath a sigh of relief. I respect people who strongly condemn hateful actions, but I think it's wise to be careful what you identify as hateful.  

Love that fabulous quote by Marin Luther King Jr. (Thanks to the lovely Cheryl Turtlemoon for sharing! And thanks to the BBC for that wonderful photograph which can be found here 

Personally, I choose not to rejoice in the death of Bin Ladin, but a new beginning for America. 

We care. We remember. We're grateful. 

Maggie Langley

Virtual Assistant / Founder
OfficeHounds

 
Office 08432 891246 Mobile 07789 682960
    
Do Less Paperwork. Earn More Money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Marketing Agencies: All About The Margins' Useful information in this article by a CPA - definitely worth a read for agency owners

. https://www.betterwaycpa.com/general/marketing-agency-profit-margin/ #marketing #marketingagency #KPI #agencygrowth Marketing Agencies: All About the Profit Margins • Chris Hervochon What's the difference between gross and net margin and why they're important? Learn how to optimize your marketing agency profit margin.

Here are some Small Business #Marketing Trends That Are No Longer Trends! https://www

.business2community.com/small-business/small-business-marketing-trends-that-are-no-longer-trends-02271555 #SME Via Business2Community

Although lockdown restrictions are beginning to lift, video conferencing is still going to be part of our lives

. Check out this really good article from Business2Community with Video Conferencing Tips for Job Interviews and Meetings. https://www.business2community.com/communications/video-conferencing-tips-for-job-interviews-and-meetings-02319261 #WFH #VideoConference